Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Driving Sideways - Aimee Mann

I must endeavour to write in this more. Along with my realisation that I need to read things that are not directly related to my course of study, so must I write things that aren't necessarily a vain attempt at literary criticism, thus being necessarily pseudo-intellectual wank.

This does not preclude the nature of the blog as a vessel for such wank.

I'm off to a frightful start for third year - I discovered on Monday that I was meant to have read two novels for Thursday. That's today. Urgh. Again, I curse my own ineptitude and also the department's sudden desire to move everything over the WebCT which is the biggest pile of crap known to mankind.

On a technical note, I now have a desktop PC. Built lovingly by Eugene and myself (although largely by Eugene, though I did get to use the screwdriver), Bellatrix is sitting pretty on my desk. I've come to the satisfying realisation of Mac superiority - though I defer to Bella's Windows system for some things such as photography editing, it gives me a sense of enormous wellbeing to tap away on my little iBook. I do hope they can become friends. So far I think Antioch (das Mac) is intimidated by her, as I fully admit, she is a very sexy piece of machinery - she even has a glowing purple keyboard. However she is also rather disease-ridden, as is the nature of Windows machines, so I think Antioch will soon regain confidence and rejoice in his pristine technical health whilst laughing at the mere concept of .exe...

Much to the dismay of many I have also discovered the joys of last.fm. It's an excellent procrastination tool, found just in time to further impede my progress into a successful honours year.

I really should attempt to read that second book...

No comments: